Trinity Park: We’ve decoded the bizarre consultation for rebuilt Morris Walk Estate

Danny Thorpe and Lovells execs
Greenwich Council leader Danny Thorpe (second left) on site for the start of demolition at Morris Walk during the summer

A new consultation about what will replace the Morris Walk Estate has been launched. However, you’re unlikely to have heard about it until this week, even though it launched last Friday, and it’s probably the strangest consultation we’ve ever come across – and we’ve seen a few in our time.

As a public service, we’ve taken the videos from it and are hosting them here so you can take part without having to flail around with a smartphone.

Demolition work is taking place on the Morris Walk Estate so it can be replaced by a new development, Trinity Park. The estate went up quickly in the mid-1960s, and it’s coming down quickly too – Denmark House, the tower block next to Maryon Park, has all but gone in just four weeks. The demolition teams could have been even speedier, but we’re hearing great care is being taken to avoid disturbing the neighbours. So far, so good.

The development is to be built by Lovell, which has turned the notorious Connaught Estate in Woolwich into Trinity Walk. It plans to replace the 562 homes of Morris Walk (all built for council housing) with 768 homes – 35 per cent will be “affordable”. The planning definition of “affordable” differs from the dictionary definition: a previous planning permission saw this break down to 25 per cent social rent and 10 per cent shared ownership, although a new planning application is on its way. We’d expect the social rent to be London Affordable Rent, which is half market rent – slightly higher than Greenwich Council rents, which are about 40 per cent market rents and among the cheapest in London.

Lovell will also demolish the dilapidated Maryon Road and Maryon Grove estates in due course; these are being handled separately.

Lovell leaflet
Lovell’s consultation leaflet – good luck with that

Lovell’s latest consultation began on Friday. It lasts a week. While other developers have made efforts to keep in touch with us about major schemes in SE7, Lovell didn’t tell us about this. It does say it told 290 surrounding residents, however, and left leaflets in locations including New Charlton Community Centre, St Thomas Church, Windrush Primary School and Time Court care home.

The consultation involves you having to point your mobile phone at QR codes which then bring up a series of videos. It’s not very accessible, to say the least – heaven knows what they made of it in the care home.

So we’ve got hold of the videos, uploaded them to our own site, and are presenting them here ourselves, right here on The Charlton Champion.

Lovell says it is unable to hold a physical consultation because of the pandemic, but others are making better jobs of it – see this Greenwich Council consultation into new housing in Eltham, or Aitch Group’s plans for Eastmoor Street.

Anyway, make yourself a cuppa, sit back, and find out more about what’s planned. (If you’re in a hurry, skip to video 6.)

By the way, we can’t change the music. Sorry.



Video 1: A brief introduction. You can probably skip this, to be honest.



Video 2: A description of the dismantling and demolition work. Morris North = north of the railway line. Morris South = south of it.



Video 3: A description of past consultation events. Local people like the public transport and green space; hate the fact they’re living next to crumbling estates with antisocial behaviour, flytipping and parked cars. They would like a small supermarket and for the development to fit in with its neighbours.



Video 4: A description of the area. Yes, you know it, but it’s all about context.



Video 5: Now it’s an introduction to the masterplan. Odd to claim that one of the downsides of the Morris Walk Estate was that it didn’t have enough private housing, but there you go. However, this promises a mix of private, shared ownership and “affordable” homes (at least they’re separated the last two out) and pledges the railway will be used to unite rather than divide the community. Taller buildings will be placed nearer the A206, smaller buildings at the Charlton end.



Video 6: The interesting bits begin. Plans for Morris North: 304 new homes (296 flats, eight houses) with blocks of up to 13 storeys. 144 car parking spaces, mostly underground. Public courtyards with green spaces, and views to the parks and across the Thames (from the 13th floor, presumably).



Video 7: Morris South plans: 462 homes (309 flats, 153 houses) with blocks of up to six storeys. Houses to fit in with their neighbours on Maryon Road and Woodland Terrace. A new pedestrian street, Maryon Park Avenue, will lead right from the park towards Woolwich Dockyard. 288 car parking spaces, to be designed so it doesn’t feel there are cars everywhere.



Video 8: What happens next. Please send your feedback and work goes on to finalise the planning applications.


Here are the exhibition boards to download, if the text on the videos is small to read.

However, they don’t include the renders of what’s proposed, so we’ve taken some screenshots. Much of the work closer to Charlton looks decent. It’s a shame the mess of a consultation lets it down.

Lovell Trinity Park render
The view from Maryon Park – where Denmark House stood until recently
Trinity Park render
The view along Maryon Park Avenue
Lovell render
Looking up Prospect Vale
Roughly where Woodland Terrace, Charlton, meets Prospect Vale, Woolwich. New housing planned for old tower block site
Lovell render
Looking along the railway line between Morris North and Morris South from Maryon Park
Morris North render
The view from Woolwich Church Street
Trinity Park
An overview of the whole development

One you’ve watched all that, you can send feedback using this form. Closing date is this Thursday, 30 October – we’d have told you about this earlier if we knew.

Please tell them we sent you.


PLEASE SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION

We tell the SE7 stories you won’t read elsewhere. We can’t do it without your help.
– Please tell us about your news and events
– NEW! Become a monthly supporter at presspatron.com/charltonchampion
– Donate to our running costs at paypal.me/charltonchampion

Free autumn half-term meals at Charlton Manor School

Charlton Manor School
The school has a track record for healthy eating initiatives

Boris Johnson and his government don’t think vulnerable children should be helped with free half-term meals during the pandemic. Others disagree. At Charlton Manor School, they are offering free meals this half-term between noon and 1.45pm.

The school has a track record of healthy eating initiatives, including opening a community café last year.

Further afield, Greenwich Council is also offering free meals between noon and 1pm each day at Woolwich library, and Woolwich Adventure Playcentre at 2pm on Friday (see other locations). The Pelton Arms in Greenwich is offering free pizzas today, Wednesday and Thursday from 1pm to 3pm (see details).

We don’t usually lift things from Twitter (please let us know about your news and events) but this seemed too important to miss.


PLEASE SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION

We tell the SE7 stories you won’t read elsewhere. We can’t do it without your help.
– Please tell us about your news and events
– NEW! Become a monthly supporter at presspatron.com/charltonchampion
– Donate to our running costs at paypal.me/charltonchampion

Charlton Lido: November pool hours announced and Swim Doctor returns

Charlton Lido at dawn

Today brought good news for Charlton Lido swimmers with the announcement that the current opening times will be extended through November. In previous years the timetable has been cut back in winter with the heated pool closed on some weekdays. The centre was one of the first to reopen after lockdown and has been busy since with swimmers taking the opportunity to exercise outdoors.

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

The pool opening times are:

  • Monday-Friday: 6.30am to 8.30pm
  • Saturday-Sunday: 9am to 5pm

Advanced booking is necessary, through the website or Better app.

Swim Doctor returns

We’ve also learnt that the centre’s popular Swim Doctor sessions will restart in November – a chance for adults to improve their swimming technique and fitness. Booking opens October 28th via the app or website, with the first sessions starting Tuesday 3rd November at 9:30am, then Friday 7am & Saturday 11am. Spaces will be limited and must be pre-booked.

In other lido news, the pool covers were recently replaced, which has – in this writer’s experience at least – improved the average water temperature, particularly in the mornings.


PLEASE SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION

We tell the SE7 stories you won’t read elsewhere. We can’t do it without your help.
– Please tell us about your news and events
– NEW! Become a monthly supporter at presspatron.com/charltonchampion
– Donate to our running costs at paypal.me/charltonchampion

Join a Charlton coronavirus community meeting: Make sure nobody gets left behind

xxx
You can help the community in Charlton get through the pandemic

With coronavirus cases on the rise again, Greenwich Council’s public health team wants to know what it can do to support you and those you care about as the pandemic goes on.

The team are working their way through different parts of the borough holding community meetings. Everyone is at risk from Covid-19, but the risk is higher for some – such as those who live in deprivation, in dense housing, bedsits, people from black and minority ethnic groups.

Nobody knows this community like those who live here, and to make sure nobody is forgotten in Charlton, the team is inviting residents to a Zoom meeting on Wednesday morning to talk about what happened during the first wave of the virus, who missed out on help, and what can be done now to help people through the coming months.

Just as importantly, with social media spreading false claims about the virus, it is a chance to find out what is really happening with the pandemic.

Overall, the aim is to keep the spread of the virus as low as possible and to and help everyone stay protected.

The public health team have identified an area of Charlton they’re particularly interested in hearing from – see the map below.

Charlton health neighbourhood

The meeting is at 10am on Wednesday 28th October. All are welcome.

To find out how to take part, email kelly-ann.ibrahim[at]royalgreenwich.gov.uk and she’ll send you the Zoom link.


PLEASE SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION

We tell the SE7 stories you won’t read elsewhere. We can’t do it without your help.
– Please tell us about your news and events
– NEW! Become a monthly supporter at presspatron.com/charltonchampion
– Donate to our running costs at paypal.me/charltonchampion

Half-term ‘takeaway bags’ from Charlton Community Gardens

Charlton Park
Charlton Community Gardens’ community orchard is next to the Old Cottage Cafe

A message from CHARLTON COMMUNITY GARDENS…

Charlton Community Gardens are keeping in touch this autumn with a ‘Takeaway’ bag.

Children, with a little help, can enjoy these activities at home.

– Plant a bulb in a decorated jam jar
– Make and colour a Halloween mask
– Make a plastic flower to put in the jam jar
– Enjoy some quizzes and word searches

Collect your free bag from our Cafe Orchard (Community Orchard) – next to the Old Cottage Coffee Shop in Charlton Park on Thursday October 29th between 10.00 and 12.00. Children must bring an adult with them.

Please email us to book your bag – your child’s age and gender would be helpful: charltoncommunitygardens[at]gmail.com.


PLEASE SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION

We tell the SE7 stories you won’t read elsewhere. We can’t do it without your help.
– Please tell us about your news and events
– NEW! Become a monthly supporter at presspatron.com/charltonchampion
– Donate to our running costs at paypal.me/charltonchampion

Discover local history: Charlton Village street exhibition starts Saturday

Charlton Village 1970
Charlton Village in 1970. “The watchmaker, hairdresser and Fieldings before the cottages were demolished, the tree to the right still stands in Fairfield Grove”

From Saturday, the Charlton Society is hosting a street exhibition in The Village, with displays on 17 shops showing engravings and photographs of the village since 1775. If you can’t make Saturday, the exhibition will last until 27 November.

In addition, if you can spare time on a Friday afternoon, the society is hosting an open day on 30 October from 2pm to 4pm: “Members of The Charlton Society Committee will be in the Village outside The Village Green Grocers where they will hand out copies of a commemorative Year Book and a facsimile of Charlton Village and its Parks Walk, originally printed in 1984. We hope that Charlton Society members and residents will take the opportunity to walk around the Village and view the exhibition.”

Charlton 1775
A view from 1775, with St Luke’s Church on the left and the spire of Charlton House on the right

The society adds: “The Charlton Society has been operating virtually since the beginning of the Covid-19 lockdown and have produced this exhibition to highlight Charlton Village as a unique London village, thank our traders for supporting the community throughout the lockdown and demonstrate some of the activities that The Charlton Society has engaged in during its 50 years.

“The Charlton Society has been operating since 1969 in response to a growing concern at the level of modernisation that could threaten the special character of the Village. Never an enemy of necessary development The Charlton Society was established to awake interest in the special character of Charlton Village, to assess new developments with a view to bring the best to Charlton as a whole, to protect the neighbourhood from the excesses of development but support good design and improvement.”

The society has also been working on a “Save Our Village” action plan for the area. (See more information.)


PLEASE SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION

We tell the SE7 stories you won’t read elsewhere. We can’t do it without your help.
– Please tell us about your news and events
– NEW! Become a monthly supporter at presspatron.com/charltonchampion
– Donate to our running costs at paypal.me/charltonchampion

Mega-bedsit plan for Charlton Conservative Club withdrawn as Liberal Club development refused

Google image of the Charlton Conservative Club
The old Charlton Conservative Club (image: Google)

A developer has withdrawn plans to turn the former Conservative Club on Charlton Church Lane into 26 bedsits to accommodate 49 people.

The club closed seven years ago and permission was given in 2015 to demolish the rear hall to provide a two-bedroom flat and a three-bedroom maisonette together with a new block of three two-bedroom flats, and construction of a terrace of four two-bedroom houses on land at the back of the property. Work began but was never completed, and construction workers have continued to arrive at the site.

Greenwich Council confirmed that RIU Management (UK) Ltd, a company based at the former club, had withdrawn its application in a letter to people who had objected to the plans. The company is controlled by 58-year-old Sanjai Dhar, who is also registered at the club; however it was originally set up by a British Virgin Islands-registered company, Riu Management, which had a correspondence address in Switzerland, according to Companies House records.

“The proposal is a form of residential accommodation aimed at providing affordable and high quality accommodation in the form of co-living arrangement,” planning documents said. “With the average house price in Greenwich at a value of £554,000, co-living which is a house in multiple occupation, offers an affordable alternative of living accommodation whilst retaining the luxury. Therefore, this a growing trend and co- living arrangement caters for young professionals who struggle to afford London’s increasing property prices.”

Meanwhile, plans to demolish what is left of the Charlton Liberal Club and build a three-storey building with eight flats have been refused by Greenwich planning officers. The scheme had been submitted by an Enfield-based company, Liberal Ltd, controlled by property developers Can and Kerem Yavuzarslan.

The council said there was no evidence that the Liberal Club was unviable as it had only been on the market for one month, and that the loss of the club would deny the area a community facility and a source of employment. It also said the “proposed design is excessive in scale and poorly sited, such that it appears cramped with its plot and creates an uncharacteristic terracing effect”.

The main Liberal Club building was converted into flats in 2016 and a new building erected next door, but the club closed two years later.


PLEASE SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION

We tell the SE7 stories you won’t read elsewhere. We can’t do it without your help.
– Please tell us about your news and events
– NEW! Become a monthly supporter at presspatron.com/charltonchampion
– Donate to our running costs at paypal.me/charltonchampion