CHRISTINE ANTHONY from the Friends of Maryon Parks has been in touch – can you help solve a sporting mystery?
In the middle of December last year, The Friends of Maryon Parks were contacted by Victoria White, a metal detectorist, who had been working in a field near Buxton, Derbyshire when she found a silver Albert or watch chain.
Attached to the chain was a silver medal, inscribed on the front with the monogram “AH” and the reverse with “Maryon Park Gymnasium, 1st Prize Juniors, won by A. Harvey 1910”.
The front of the medal
We were able to tell Victoria that the Maryon Park playground had opened in 1895 when “the Maryon-Wilson Estates gave one third of an acre more land for the formation of an open air children’s gymnasium with an additional entrance in the Lower Woolwich Road” and to provide a picture via the Charlton Parks Reminiscence website at . It is thought the photo was taken about 1910 and appears to show parallel bars and other gymnastic equipment in the upper playground.
Victoria has been unable to make a link with a Harvey family in Buxton but we wondered if there is one with GA Harvey metal works of Charlton. Unfortunately to date we’ve not been able to find out much about the family so would love to hear from someone who knows something about them.
If you can help solve the mystery, drop Christine a line at friendsofmaryonparks[at]gmail.com.
A Plumstead-based brewery is hoping to turn the former Barclays branch at the Royal Standard into a “beer café” – just weeks after the bank closed its doors for the final time.
Common Rioters has submitted a planning application to Greenwich Council to change the building’s use – the first stage in a journey it hopes will end with its own bar and place to brew its beers.
The three-year-old brewery, run by Stephen and Maryann O’Connor, takes its name from the Plumstead Common rioters, whose revolt in 1876 saved the open space from being destroyed by a developer.
They had originally hoped to take on a unit at the Jack’s Acre development on Rochester Way in Eltham, but when that fell through, Stephen told The Charlton Champion that he spotted the Blackheath bank building was being let.
“We’re into learning about historical and modern styles of brewing coupled with peoples’ history,” he said. “Not yet having a commercial brew kit or place to brew means that until now we’ve relied on friends in the industry to brew our beers with. Our beers have been available at a select few pubs in the area and at our Plumsteadshire stall, which pops up in various locations as well as online. Following the theme of our stall somewhat we intend to have guest brewery appearances at our pub alongside many other non-beer items for enjoyment.
“The opportunity to bring The Green Goddess to Blackheath in an iconic building was too good to miss.”
Common Rioters’ interest in the bank comes less than two months after it closed. Barclays announced it was shutting the branch – the last bank at the Royal Standard – in October, and it closed its doors on 15 January. Nearby, the former NatWest branch has not yet found a tenant nearly three years after the state-owned bank pulled out of the area.
The brewery is currently selling beers from other suppliers though its online shop, with free delivery in SE7 and other Greenwich borough addresses every Friday.
While all pubs are closed because of the lockdown, there have been hopeful signs for SE7 drinkers looking for a decent pint once the restrictions have passed, despite the loss of the White Swan a year ago.
Old Dover Road, seen here in this Google Streetview image, could be closed at the A102 bridge
Plans to make cycling safer for schoolchildren could see through traffic banned from Old Dover Road, according to plans unveiled by Greenwich Council yesterday.
Cameras could be placed on the bridge over the A102 to stop cars, vans and lorries from heading down the full length of the road as part of the proposal to finish a proposed cycle route from Shooters Hill Road to Greenwich Park.
The council also plans to put a camera on Banchory Road to stop the rat-running that has blighted the short-cut to and from Charlton Road for years, with HGVs transporting cars to the Metropolitan Police’s pound on Bramshot Avenue continuing to thunder down the dog-leg into Craigerne Road.
Traffic would still be able to use Old Dover Road, but drivers heading to the shops would have to enter from the Royal Standard if the proposals go ahead. Using cameras means buses and emergency services can still use the route, while closures could be limited to rush hours or daytimes only.
Part of the cycle route, from Baker Road to Weyman Road, was finished last year, but now the council is consulting on proposals to extend it west along Shooters Hill Road, and then to route riders along a quieter Old Dover Road, before the route continues along St John’s Park towards Blackheath.
However, rather than following an existing footpath to Greenwich Park, cyclists would be expected to turn left into Vanburgh Terrace and then right into Maze Hill – the top section of which would be closed to through traffic – before reaching the park.
The route was chosen as it runs close to or past five different schools: Greenwich Free School, Halley Academy, Leigh Academy Blackheath and John Roan School. It is one of two routes to be chosen for funding by Transport for London – the other is a cycle route from Eltham to Greenwich Park, which is also being consulted on.
Sizwe James, the council’s cabinet member for transport, said: “These routes will help more people cycle more often, even more safely, and help us with our green recovery. Whether it’s for shopping, commuting to work, getting to school or for leisure these routes have the potential to make cycling a serious option for more people.
“Travelling by bike is much cheaper than driving and these cycle routes will open the borough up so residents can travel further, more confidently. Not only is cycling easy on the wallet it’s good for our health and everyone around us too. If you’re serious about putting the brake on unnecessary car journeys, avoidable chronic health conditions caused by car exhausts and climate change then please have your say.”
Last month Greenwich announced a scheme which would involve cutting through traffic in Westcombe Hill: many Charlton residents have recently received anonymous leaflets urging them to protest against the proposals, and promoting a website which also does not reveal who is behind the campaign. Two weeks ago the council told The Charlton Champion it would monitor any effect the scheme had in Charlton and would take action if necessary.
Progress is also well under way on the extension of Cycleway 4 along Woolwich Road into Charlton, a scheme which is being delivered by Transport for London rather than the council.
Charlton could be split down the middle under the final proposals to redraw where Greenwich councillors are elected – with Victoria Way and Canberra Road forming the new boundary line.
At present, Greenwich borough is split into 18 wards, which each elect three councillors, with Charlton sliced into four wards: Charlton, Peninsula, Woolwich Riverside and Kidbrooke with Hornfair. But with the area’s population rising fast, the map is being redrawn to accommodate 55 councillors rather than 51.
New plans from the Local Government Boundary Commission for England propose that the SE7 area still be split into four, but most of it would be covered by two wards, Charlton Village & Riverside and Charlton Hornfair. If approved, they will apply from May 2022’s council elections, and will not affect the Kidbrooke with Hornfair by-election which is due in May. The commission is asking for the public’s views on its plans.
The L-shaped Charlton Hornfair ward would cover the area north of Shooters Hill Road and east of the A102, and would run as far as the Westcombe Park to Charlton railway line, Victoria Way, Canberra Road and Charlton Park Lane – ending a 20-year split which has seen residents of much of this area vote for Kidbrooke councillors. It would also include Blackheath residents around the Royal Oak pub and Woolwich residents in developments south of Queen Elizabeth Hospital. It would elect two councillors.
The Charlton station mural is currently split between two wards – Peninsula and Charlton. It will be in Charlton Village & Riverside under the new plans
Charlton Village & Riverside would cover the area from the river up to Charlton Park, including the Troughton Road and Atlas Gardens areas that currently find themselves in Peninsula and Woolwich Riverside wards. It would also elect two councillors.
Small parts of SE7 would still cast their votes for other wards – the area around Gurdon Road, with new developments on Fairthorn Road and Bowen Drive, would be in a three-councillor Greenwich Peninsula ward, while Maryon Road, Erwood Road and Woodland Terrace go into Woolwich Dockyard, along with the rest of what will soon become the Trinity Park development.
The proposals do not affect parliamentary constituencies, so much of Charlton Hornfair would still come under Clive Efford’s Eltham seat for the time being. They also do not affect the borough’s boundaries with Lewisham and other neighbours, which were last tweaked in the 1990s.
Greenwich Council has input into the proposals but it is the commission that sets the boundary. The town hall had initially gone along with proposals for 55 councillors, but changed its mind last autumn and proposed 56. The commission has rejected that, and has based its proposals on those filed by the borough’s Conservative councillors.
The Tories may well be pleased to see the largely Labour-voting Charlton streets moved out of wards in the Kidbrooke area that was a traditional target for them. Other changes may also help the council’s opposition – such as a Woolwich Arsenal ward covering new developments by the Thames in Woolwich town centre, as well as a Kidbrooke Village ward.
The council’s own proposals would have further entrenched the old four-way split in Charlton’s councillors – including bringing the Kidbrooke with Hornfair boundary right up to Canberra Road. “As this proposal involves crossing Shooters Hill Road, we do not consider that this reflects the community identity of these areas, and we have therefore not adopted it,” the commission said.
The commission also rejected council plans to put Heathwood Gardens and Kinveachy Gardens in Woolwich Dockyard. “The council proposed an alternative boundary in this area, with Heathwood Gardens and Kinveachy Gardens in a Woolwich-based ward. We visited this area on our virtual tour of Greenwich and considered that these streets look towards Charlton for their community identity rather than Woolwich. This judgment was supported by the relatively small number of local residents who provided evidence that these streets regarded themselves as part of the Charlton community, using Charlton-based shops and community facilities rather than those in Woolwich.”
Charlton fans had to endure another embarrassing capitulation on Saturday – KEVIN NOLAN watched the latest Valley debacle through his hands.
There was much more than a comprehensive thumping by far superior Blackpool going on at The Valley on Saturday. Much more alarming was the total breakdown of morale and discipline which destroyed Lee Bowyer’s side and made this defeat a deeply damaging experience. Owner Thomas Sandgaard, as a Dane, is better qualified than most to explain what appears to be “something rotten in the state of Charlton.”
Strip away all the kneejerk controversy surrounding two penalties, two dismissals and a disallowed goal and what’s left are the bare bones of one of the most embarrassing surrenders in Charlton’s recent history. The Seasiders won as they pleased once they realised they had nothing to beat. And in this bedraggled, acquiescent aggregation of Addicks, there was certainly nothing to beat.
It’s become an almost tongue-in-cheek joke, during Charlton’s steady deterioration, that it was just as well they already had enough points to keep them out of relegation trouble. Right now they’re stuck on 44 points, with 45 points still to play for. Piece of cake, you would reasonably conclude and under normal circumstances, your confidence would be justified. Watch a tape of this game, however, and that confidence might be shaken.
Not that I’m predicting relegation. Even Saturday’s craven crew should be able to scrape together the necessary total to survive. It won’t be easy or pretty but League One seems a beguiling prospect when compared with the horrors and rigours of life in a bottom tier which they climbed out of in the 1930s and to which they have never returned. T.G. as my Mum would say.
Bereft of on-pitch leadership and apparently lacking motivation from the sideline, where Bowyer watched in sullen detachment, the Addicks lurched through 10 ominous minutes before their collapse began. A well-judged pass from Sully Kaikai sent Ellis Sims haring past a struggling Deji Oshilaja until the desperate centre back’s petulant reaction hauled him to the ground. The penalty award seemed straightforward and Jerry Yates made the most of it by drilling the spotkick out of Ben Amos’ reach. Charlton were off and stumbling on their way to humiliation.
Shortly after Yates’ opener came an unpleasant reminder for the beleaguered home side that the “rub of the green” was not about to bail them out of the trouble they were in. When Jayden Stockley expertly headed past Chris Maxwell, he looked as onside as offside, which is another way of stating that the evidence was subjective and inconclusive to all but one of referee Huxtable’s linesmen, who flagged in Blackpool’s favour. The put-upon Stockley was similarly victimised four days previously during the 2-1 defeat by Burton Albion. Right now, the big striker just can’t catch a break.
The price paid for Stockley’s misfortune increased on 38 minutes when the Tangerines doubled their lead. Simms fed Virtue, who made ground as the Addicks melted before him. From outside the penalty area, the midfielder launched a fierce drive which eluded Amos on its way, off an upright, into the left corner. Darren Pratley hadn’t exactly distinguished himself in his less than diligent pursuit of Virtue, turned instead to Vice, and picked up what turned out to be a costly yellow card before the break.
Re-emerging after the interval with no fewer than four substitutes, Charlton’s clearly expressed intentions to have a go were immediately undermined by Pratley’s almost instant dismissal. With the situation clearly demanding that his captain be among the replaced quartet, Bowyer’s ill-advised faith left him available to clash with defender Jordan Gabriel on the left byline. Capable of falling out with himself in an empty room, Pratley’s excesses earned him a second caution and summary dismissal.
Down to 10 men, the Addicks wasted little time in making their plight even more daunting by conceding a second penalty, this one donated by deputy captain Ben Watson, who illegally halted Yates’ progress inside the penalty area. Having artfully exploited fleeting contact, Yates brushed himself off before squeezing a less impressive second spotkick past Amos. So far, the home side had received less than exemplary service from either of their skippers.
Now 3-0 in arrears and without a hope in heaven or hell of making any inroads on them, Charlton did the next best thing and found yet another foot through which to shoot themselves. There was probably minimal malice in the arm Chuks Aneke carelessly threw into the face of centre back Dan Ballard as they disputed a high ball, but intent played no part in Huxtable’s decision to produce a straight red card. Both Aneke and Pratley were dismissed for the second time this season.
With games blending into each other as this miserable season winds down, there is little time to agonise over Saturday February 27th, a day of infamy in Charlton’s chequered history. Unplumbed depths of ineptitude were tapped but we move on – as they say – to Wigan on Tuesday evening, where the only way – as again they say – is up.
LIKE KEVIN’S REPORTS? SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION
– We publish home match reports from Addicks games. You can help us by becoming a supporter at presspatron.com/charltonchampion – You can also support us via Patreon – Can your company sponsor these match reports? Get in touch
Grants are on offer for health and wellbeing projects to benefit communities in Charlton
Last week, we reported on how you can apply for grants up of to £2,000 for health and wellbeing projects that well help communities in Charlton. Residents will also have the chance to vote for which projects get funding. GAYLE WALLACE, who is running the scheme for Greenwich Council, has more details on how you can get involved.
I am delighted to share key information on the new Community Voting Day funding available in Charlton – including how to get involved as an applicant or resident voter.
There are small (up to £500) and medium (up to £2,000) grants available for health-related projects to be delivered for the benefit of Charlton residents. Anyone can come forward with an idea they would like funded, and local people will vote on which they want to fund.
There will be a series of online workshops between now and the 6th March. These can help you with making an application and getting comfortable with doing a presentation for residents on the Community Voting Day – on Saturday 27th March from 10.45am – 12.15pm. You can find the schedule for these workshops below.
If you are an individual rather than organisation, you will need a “sponsor” organisation who will be able to hold funds for you. kellyann.ibrahim[at]royalgreenwich.gov.uk can help match you with a sponsor.
Registering to vote
Charlton residents can register to vote in the online “Dragons Den” on 27th March at this link. We would encourage all potential project applicants to actively recruit residents in the Charlton area to register and attend. They will be able to take part in a great community event and help shape their local area.
The cross outside St Thomas’ church in Woodland Terrace
Have you seen the big wooden crosses outside St Luke’s and St Thomas’ churches? REV LIZ NEWMAN, the rector of the Benifice of Charlton, explains why they are there, and how you can use them to remember loved ones you have lost.
In both St Luke’s and St Thomas’ churchyards, large rough wooden crosses have appeared. During this season of Lent, we invite members of the community to share with us a loss you’ve suffered over the last year. It could be the name of a person who has died or something else you’ve been mourning. We’ll hang your messages on the cross. Please email your messages to: lentmessages[at]netarts.co.uk