Work on 20mph scheme for Charlton Village gets back under way

Victoria Way ramp works
Taking work home with you: The unusual sign on the Victoria Way road works

Work has resumed on creating a 20mph zone through Charlton Village, several weeks after activity stopped in the early stages of the coronavirus crisis.

Most of the work is relatively minor, but as reported on this website in March, involves building speed tables in Charlton Road, The Village and Charlton Church Lane, while there will be news parking restrictions at the junctions of Victoria Way and Eastcombe Avenue with Charlton Road.

“Continuous footways” will be introduced along Charlton Road in an attempt to nudge people into driving more considerately in and out of Invicta Road, Sherington Road, Wyndcliff Road, Couthurst Road, Hassendean Road, Bramhope Lane, Mascalls Road, Cherry Orchard and Victoria Way.

Work began on Victoria Way at the end of March but was abandoned after a few days. Now road crews are back, with a sign telling passers-by that the workers all live in the same household – and asking for people to email with concerns rather than approach the crews.

Victoria Way ramp
Work had been abandoned for several weeks

Greenwich Council says: “The government is encouraging highway work sites to return to business as usual with amended working practices, revised risk assessments and guidance.

“Staff working on these sites will strictly comply with the government and health guidance, with safe systems of work in place, while providing an essential service. Please be kind and considerate and assured that work is being carried out safely and for everyone’s benefit.”

When work is finished, there will be a 20mph restriction on Charlton Road and The Village between the Springfield Estate and the junction with Fairfield Grove. However, speed limits on the stretches of road towards Woolwich and Blackheath will remain unchanged – including the stretch of Hillreach where three teenagers died in a collision with an out-of-service bus in 2008.


PLEASE SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION

We tell the SE7 stories you won’t read elsewhere. We can’t do it without your help.
– Please tell us about your news and events
Become a monthly supporter at presspatron.com/charltonchampion
Advertise your business with us from just £9.80/per week
Celebrate our neighbourhood and order postcards or a print

Charlton Road’s bridge barriers are coming down – but get set for disruption

Charlton Road, 15 February 2015
Work begins today on fixing the bridges that carries Charlton Road over the Blackwall Tunnel Southern Approach – but expect some disruption while work is carried out.

The bridge at Charlton Road was damaged following a collision in October 2013, in which a car veered off the carriageway and knocked some of the railings into the A102 below.

Nobody was injured, but following safety inspections the Charlton Road bridge and its sister structure on Old Dover Road, Blackheath, had temporary barriers put in place last spring while Transport for London figured out what to do.

Now, “stakeholders” (that is, neither me nor you) were told last Thursday that work begins tomorrow. We managed to get hold of this via the Greenwich Cyclists newsletter, so thought it only polite to pass it on.

Remarkably, even this notification of essential safety work is being spun to make it look as if it’s a big bonus; rather than TfL belatedly acknowledging that its 46-year-old bridges weren’t up to scratch.

The Charlton Road Bridge and Old Dover Road Bridge over the A102 have been identified for refurbishment in order to improve user road safety. Transport for London (TfL) have appointed EM Highway Services to carry out this work.

To ensure the safety of pedestrians and personnel who will be carrying out these works, traffic management measures will be put in place at both locations.

Why are we doing this work?

Temporary concrete barriers have been installed at both bridges following a collision at Charlton Road Bridge, which caused damage to the existing parapet. The objective of this scheme is to replace the damaged parapet at Charlton Road Bridge and upgrade the parapet at Old Dover Road Bridge to enable them to contain any errant vehicle. The new parapets will be similar in appearance to the old parapets but the height will be slightly increased to 1.4metres to improve safety for cylists. Once the works are completed, the existing temporary concrete barriers and fence will be removed.

The Road Modernisation Plan is the biggest investment for a generation consisting of hundreds of projects to transform junctions, bridges, tunnels and pedestrian areas. Working with London’s boroughs it will make our roads safer and more reliable, and London will be a better place in which to live, work and travel.

What times will the work take place?

The parapet replacement works are planned to begin on Monday 16 February 2015 for approximately 6 weeks or until the work is completed. The general working hours will be from 09:30 to 15:30, Mondays to Fridays. Works will take place on Charlton Road Bridge between 16 February and 13 March 2015 and on Old Dover Road Bridge between 9 March to 3 April 2015.

To facilitate the works to be carried out safely, the existing concrete barriers will be temporarily repositioned in the footway until the parapet replacement work is completed, at which point all the temporary barriers will be fully removed from site. The repositioning of the barriers will be carried out at night time between 22:00 and 05:00 on weekdays.

Temporary two-way traffic lights will be deployed at each of the two bridges as and when required during these works and localised pedestrian diversions will also be put in place while these works take place.

What we would like you to know

As with all works on the Transport for London Road Network, we must balance possible disruption to residents with disruption to traffic. Working these hours provides us with the best chance to complete these works safely and as quickly as possible whilst minimising disruption.

Keeping London moving

Transport for London is firmly committed to minimising disruption. We have worked closely with our contractor, EM Highway Services and the Royal Borough of Greenwich in order to reduce the impact of these works on road users, local residents and businesses as far as possible.

I hope you will appreciate that a certain level of disruption is inevitable, and I apologise in advance for any inconvenience that may be caused as a result of these essential works. Should you require further information or an update during the delivery of these works, please contact our Streets Customer Services department on 0343 222 1234, email customerservices@tfl.gov.uk or via the web at www.tfl.gov.uk/contact.

So get set for a few weeks of disruption while some rather precarious work is carried out on the bridges. But at least the ugly barriers are finally coming down…