The auction house Allsop has set a guide price of £3,250,000 for the Victorian building.
Once a freehouse in the 1980s and 1990s which brewed its own beer, the pub – which had hotel accommodation above it – had fallen on hard times and had been designated as an away fans’ pub for Charlton Athletic matches. It closed its doors for the last time over a year ago.
In 2017 councillors approved plans to build a two-storey extension with eight flats, a gym and a retail unit, replacing the hotel rooms – with councillors told at the time that it was struggling to compete with low-cost hotels opening up in Woolwich. But last August, a new application was submitted for a three-storey extension to create a 60-room hotel.
Five new homes could be built on land behind houses in Victoria Way if a developer gets permission from Greenwich Council, which sold the property at auction 15 years ago.
One 4-bedroom home, two 3-bedroom semi-detached homes and two 2-bedroom flats would be built on the land adjacent to Wellington Gardens, between Victoria Way and Wellington Mews.
Henry Browne, a Guernsey-based developer, bought the land behind sheltered accommodation on Victoria Way in 2004 when Greenwich Council sold it. Planning documents filed by the developer say it was described as “suitable for development”. No price is recorded with the Land Registry for the sale, but its records state the land was worth £750,000 in 2015.
The developer says the land is covered in “thick bramble undergrowth”. “There are a number of self-sown sycamore trees, dying from sooty bark disease. There are many dead trees and fallen branches which could make the site unsafe if it could be penetrated,” planning documents state.
The new homes would be screened from Wellington Gardens by new trees, the developer says, with two trees on the site – protected by preservation orders going back to 1972 – kept. They would be next to a car repair yard and garage on Wellington Mews, an unmade road. Other schemes to build homes on Wellington Mews have been rejected over the years, the most recent being a scheme that was withdrawn in 2006.
The documents state that Greenwich Council planning officers stated the land was unsuitable for development in 2017 – despite the same council having sold it 13 years earlier. The developer responds “no reason is given… the site is surrounded by other residential developments”. It says “the five family homes would respect the scale and character of the area and the site”.
Enjoy a night at the theatre without having to leave the SE7 postcode. The Alexandra Players, Charlton’s amateur theatre group, have been in touch…
Adapted from Christopher Isherwood’s novel Goodbye to Berlin, which is part of The Berlin Stories, I AM A CAMERA looks at Chris – a struggling young writer whose latest novel, concerns the events that occur around him in 1930’s Berlin. Sally Bowles, a singer/actress, who works in a Berlin nightclub, befriends Chris and, despite her transient, bohemian existence, her platonic relationship with him remains steady. Confronting frank subjects such as pregnancy and unwanted racism, it is a tellingly real piece of history and life. The play itself went on to inspire the musical show and film Cabaret which famously starred Liza Minelli.
With our recent last few productions selling out to capacity audiences, we guarantee you won’t want to miss this.
The show – at the Alexandra Hall, Bramshot Avenue – runs from Wednesday 29 May to Saturday 1 June, at 8pm. Tickets are £9 (£8 concs) and are available through the Players’ online box office or by calling 07867 627987.
Now Hyde is coming forward with plans to redevelop the land plus three other nearby plots stretching away from the Thames.
“We are proposing to redevelop this important site to deliver much-needed new homes of varying size, mix and tenure, including a minimum of 40% affordable housing,” Hyde says in a flyer distributed to residents. It does not elaborate on what “affordable” means.
“Our proposals also include the creation of new green space to improve access to the riverside, alongside commercial and retail space.”
The exhibition is at the Charlton side of Windrush Primary School on Thursday 9 May from 4.30pm to 8.00pm, and Saturday 11 May from 10am to 2pm. (Hopefully by then Hyde and its representatives K&A Consulting will have realised the school is not in “East Greenwich”, as claimed on the flyer.)
Residents who cannot make the exhibition but would like to know more are asked to email charltonriverside[at]kandaconsulting.co.uk or call 020 3900 3676.
The three other development schemes for the Charlton Riverside going through, or about to go through planning:
Big Dig day celebrates the start of the growing season and encourages people to visit their local Capital Growth supported Community Garden.
Maryon Park Community Garden, one of Capital Growth’s flagship gardens is taking part and have a drop-in open day on Saturday 27th April 10.00 am to 4.00 pm. Visitors are invited to see how Maryon Park Community Garden is developing.
The Community Garden provides organic growing plots for local people, a Forest School space for primary schools, a garden meeting room and volunteer opportunities.
On Saturday 27st April visitors can learn more about the Community Garden, enjoy tours and talks about the Garden and the historic Maryon Park, the location of the 1960’s film ‘Blow-Up’.
There will be a plant and woodcraft sale, refreshments and the lunchtime pizza oven.
At 2.00 pm Simon and Verity from COATS will run a free family Outdoor Art Workshop in the Forest School.
“The Big Dig Day is about encouraging people and families to visit their local community garden. Whether you are an experienced gardener or new to gardening or just want to see how your local project is developing you will be welcome,” says community garden chair Tim Anderson.
Maryon Park Community Garden is a not-for-profit voluntary project situated in the former council plant nursery in Maryon Park.
In an area where little’s been done for many years to smarten up the streets, these lizard stencils popped up a week or so ago. There was one behind Charlton House, and one on a wall in Victoria Way.
In fact, there were three in Victoria Way…
And one about to go for a drink at the Charlton Liberal Club (if it hadn’t closed last year).
There wasn’t one at Charlton Reptiles, though…
They were washed away by rain last Monday, all except one – at the bus stop at the top of Victoria Way. There were some mutterings that they may have been gang symbols – but the locations would seem to count against that.
Hopefully, they were put there by someone who wanted to brighten up the area. Or even just for a laugh. In an area where the public realm is tatty and civic pride is lacking, they caught the eye. Will the lizards return? We wait and see.
A senior Network Rail executive has written to The Charlton Champion apologising for its attempt to close the Angerstein Wharf foot crossing without consultation, and pledging to “rectify the situation”.
John Halsall, the senior managing director for Network Rail’s South East Route, said that the process it had followed “was not good enough” and it was committing to work with Greenwich Council and residents to work out the “best solution” for a line which is likely to see a rise in freight traffic.
The crossing, between Fairthorn Road in Charlton and Farmdale Road in east Greenwich, will be closed on 20/21 April for engineering works, but will remain open after that.
John Halsall’s letter reads as follows:
Can I start by apologising for the situation that we have generated with respect to the Angerstein footpath (Farmdale Road) crossing. We have approached what was a well-meant intervention, in terms of the safety of the public, in the wrong way, and for that I am sorry.
We are working out how we can rectify the situation, within the bounds of our statutory obligations to protect the safety of the public. I can confirm that as a first step we will not be permanently closing the footpath crossing immediately after the bank holiday weekend of 20/21 April 2019. We will need to block the crossing over that weekend as we undertake engineering works, to protect the public from engineering activity, but the crossing will not be permanently closed at that point.
Over the last 18 months we have engaged with the local authority, but it would appear not always with the right part. Clearly this process has not been good enough, and we are therefore committing to work closely with the Royal Borough of Greenwich and local residents to establish the best solution we can collectively achieve while meeting our statutory safety obligations.
I need to reiterate that we have embarked upon the process for the best of reasons. The risk to the public at the crossing will increase due to engineering changes that are being made following previous operational incidents and also with the anticipated increase in freight traffic. We take this matter very seriously.
I sincerely apologise once again for the poor engagement and will update you further when we have a clear plan confirmed with the local authorities and local residents.