Summer is upon us and it’s time for the annual Open Studios weekend at the largest artists’ studio complex in Europe, Thames-Side Studios. Charlton-based author ANDREW DONKIN reports…
YOU’RE INVITED! OPEN STUDIO WEEKEND AT THAMES-SIDE STUDIOS
Still one of Charlton’s best kept secrets, Thames-Side Studios is home to over 500 artists, carpenters, print makers, jewellery makers, sculptors, leather workers, stained glass workers, landscape designers, photographers, wood workers, book binders, picture framers, clock makers and one graphic novelist. The list is almost as endless as Brexit.
Over the weekend of Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th June from noon to 6pm each day, all sorts of creative types will be throwing open their doors to welcome you into their studios. It’s an opportunity to meet them, talk about what they do, and buy some fantastic pieces of art direct from their creator.
Thames-Side Studios is located next to the river, off from Warspite Road which is the road that runs towards the river from the Woolwich Road roundabout with the McDonald’s on it. The event is really family friendly with loads for kids to see and do.
There’s an exciting programme of events, demonstrations and activities taking place across the whole site including:
- Hundreds of artists and creators studios open to the public.
- Creative family workshops in the Education Space.
- Print demonstrations and workshops in Thames-Side Print Studios
- Chance to get your hands dirty with The London Sculpture Workshop.
- Circus skills workshops from the fantastic Aircraft Circus Academy (2-6pm.)
- Art on display in the Gallery and The Viewing Room.
- Free screenings of Ray Richardson’s award-winning film “Our Side of the Water”.
- Craft beer from Off-The-Wagon’s mobile beer factory.
- Loads of grub options including vegetarian and vegan.
As if all that wasn’t enough (and I’m suggesting to you that it very much is
enough), street artist Rosie Woods will be painting a huge scale mural live during
SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION
The Charlton Champion provides news and information about issues and events in London SE7.
– Help us by telling us your stories
– Buy Neil a coffee at ko-fi.com
– NEW! Become a monthly patron at patreon.com/charltonchampion
– NEW! Donate directly to the site at paypal.me/charltonchampion