Talk about the new Sainsbury’s… and not just any new store?

You may know about this already, a letter may have appeared on the doormat this morning. In fact, a letter appeared on 13,000 people’s doormats this morning.

Sainsbury’s and developers LXB want to hear your feedback on proposals to build a new store in Charlton’s retail parks, set to be the biggest in the country. It’s being held on Friday 21st (1.00pm – 6.00pm) and Saturday 22nd October (10.00am – 3.00pm). The venue is the former council office at Valley House, 445 Woolwich Road (see picture, it’s opposite the BP Garage).

The Sainsbury’s is proposed to be on the northern end of the plot of land highlighted above. There will be four other retail units to the south of this development, connected to Woolwich Road. This website understands that negotiations are underway with Marks & Spencer to occupy the larger of these units with a clothes and food store. The other three are being reserved for smaller, and perhaps more “local” shops.

As for the Sainsbury’s, its promoters say it will be a lot more “eco” than the current store without necessarily looking like it is. There will be a small nature reserve at its rear, car charging points and energy-efficient fibre-optic lighting, and it will recycle its own cooking oil. Additionally, there will be canopy walkways for the pedestrian and new markings will alter the roads in the locality, with traffic lights being installed at the bottom of Gallions Road.

So, make sure you make the trip and have your say. See you there.

Advertisements

About Matt

SE7 resident, journalism student.

17 Responses to Talk about the new Sainsbury’s… and not just any new store?

1. It’ll be interesting to what the area look like in 20 years time. I thought it may stagnate a bit, with the other side of the river being an enterprise zone thus having less tax and planning restrictions. I thought the council also had hopes of more housing nearby?

But it will have a travelodge, a sainsbury’s (zzzzz) and 4 stores hopefully fronting the road. What I wish would happen though is that the sainsburys is at least on 2 stories, as quite a few continental hypermarkets are. The ground floor could be food, and upper contain homeware etc.

I have big issues with such large stores in inner city areas where they cause big traffic problems, but if they are to be built then using the model of a huge shed and swaths of tarmac for parking is such a waste of land when long term more housing is needed.

2. frostie says:

It sounds like it’s going to be huge, there will undoubtedly be massive upheaval during the building process and the traffic issues could be tricky once it’s completed. However, I for one am firmly in favour of the new store – I really think it will help to uplift this rundown area of Charlton and Woolwich road. It’s completely neglected and an eyesore. Having waited 20 minutes for a bus on this section of Woolwich Road the other day, I had plenty of opportunity to survey the sorry mess of this area. If I have to queue for a bus, I’d rather be looking at a bustling supermarket than a row of boarded up houses, overgrown wasteland and industrial units.

If they do include grassy areas and the opportunity for ‘local’ shops to have a pitch on the site then all the better.

3. Jon kingsbury says:

I like the idea – especially if they have learning space for kids. Please make it bike friendly though Greenwich.

4. Raven says:

Good news, I guess, that there will be even more retail choice there though I fear for the effect of this new M&S on ones in the nearby high streets e.g. Eltham. Hopefully enough people will continue to need and value having local stores there (ie. M&S, Sainsburys) albeit smaller.

Good news and competition for the new Woolwich Tesco which has got to be healthy.

6. GM says:

There is no such thing as a ‘sustainable’ supermarket, at least not on this scale (three times the size of the existing ‘eco’ Sainsbury’s, I hear). It’s depressing to see people say this is good news because it means two mega supermarkets will be competing. That’s not a healthy economic model. It means more road trips, more custom taken from genuinely local businesses, the usual long supply chains, over-packaging, pollution. I’m with the commenter who called for housing. A new neighbourhood of mixed tenure housing could be created, interspersed with walkable, cycle-friendly, human-scale shopping areas suitable for locally owned shops, public parks, allotments (decontamination-dependent), small business units, community spaces… If only those in authority would show some imagination.

7. Jobe says:

And what of their current site? Is there someone ready to move in or will it lay empty for years and end up looking like the site they want to move to?

8. Gabriella Hudson says:

Eltham won’t close as it only got another floor four years ago it was previously one floor.

I am glad that M and S will open but this will generate a lot of traffic on an already congested road and more worringly whilst M and S have no plans to close the Woolwich outlet they have no plans to do it up either in an email sent to me which I can only think means closure long term which would be a great shame for Woolwich

9. Gabriella Hudson says:

Pity there is no plans for a Waitrose though doing a shop there is proving to be far cheaper than Sainsbury’s these days.

I’ll be wandering down to look at the plans.

I’m still concerned about the traffic though. The disruption is going to be immense. Bunging a set of traffic lights at the bottom of Galleons Road is no good to man or beast. There will be stacks of traffic looking to turn right and the lights would have to phased in with the Woolwich Road lights a mere 200 yards to the east. Remember Woolwich Road is an incredibly busy road in itself, it’s not a back street for people to go shopping on, it’s a major artery into the Tunnel.

Also, traffic turning into Bugsbys Way will (according to the plans) now be forced into one lane — and there will be the usual stack of crazed shoppers waiting to turn left into the Asda/retail park.

Also, loads of people will be using the already congested Charlton Church Lane to get to the site. Have you seen what happens when a couple of buses meet where the Lane narrows half way up? The place will be gridlocked.

Your original report also said the new Sainsbury’s is going to be a home delivery depot as well. That’ll help the traffic!!!

11. woode30 says:

nothing is “sustainable” as your little utopia would like it to be – its all marketing hype for muppets to buy into
    the more megastores the better if u ask me, esp. as we have 4-5000 new flats to be build on the riverfront in the next 10-15 years
    come on asda, lets see if you want to take this on the chin or if you want to come to the table with another mega store….
    its what normal people want, saves the drive to crayford or sidcup to the current nearest megastore ( that sounds like good enviromental policy to me ? )

12. GM says:

woode30 – evidently we’re framing the issues very differently! I’m not sure I understand the first line of your comment. I’m not a marketer; in my description of what I’d like to see on the site I’m describing the kind of community that, until the last couple of decades of domination by the big four retailers, proved to be the basis of thriving, diverse, human-scale, local economies – and each diverse and particular – in culture, economy, architecture – in ways that helped to engender stronger senses of place and community than most of us can any longer find. It’s a utopia in the sense that people seem to feel that something has been lost and tend to yearn for an idealised version of what we once had. But it’s not a utopia in the sense that it is actually achievable if given sufficient popular will to alter strategic planning and economic priorities and challenge corporate vested interests in the current system.

I don’t see any justification for your feeling that ‘the more megastores the better’, except that you feel that there will have to be such megastores to cater for demand. There’s an argument that such stores create rather than meet demand, because they put local shops out of business. But leaving that aside, there are many other negatives you don’t address. Supermarkets destroy more jobs than they ‘create’, employing fewer people per square foot than small shops and businesses. Money spent in small shops circulates in the local economy far more than that spent in supermarkets, where profit is whisked back to national head office rather than genuinely contributing to the local economy. Trafalgar and Woolwich Roads are among the most heavily used roads in London, and London as a whole has air quality among the worst in Europe, contributing to childhood asthma, among many other health issues. Megashops built with oceans of car parking around them encourage car culture, adding to the obesity crisis by encouraging our sedentary lifestyles. Beyond the local area itself, supermarkets are holding British and foreign farmers over a barrel, with a long-term trend of farmers seeing less and less of the final consumer price as the amount they are paid at the ‘farm gate’ by wholesalers and retailers falls, while the supermarkets’ share of the final consumer price has risen. Smaller farmers are thus forced out of business and their holdings often consolidated into mega farms, viable only thanks to economies of scale, but tending to large monocultural operations, highly pesticide-, fertiliser- and oil-dependent; livestock operations too large to manage their slurry, which contaminates land and waterways; each is a disaster for the biodiversity and soil health upon which we ultimately depend.

I could go on.

13. Popped along to the public exhbition today and asked about the 108 bus from Blackheath – it won’t pass the new store. Apparently they’ve had quite a few enquiries about that and they’re hoping to take something to TfL about it. I’m not particularly confident, for a long time the 108 didn’t run to Sainsbury’s and I only started shopping there more regularly when the route changed a year or two ago. It’s really quite difficult to get there on foot yet it’s less than an hour’s walk from pretty much all of Blackheath. The roads are not welcoming to pedestrians 😉 http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.486982,0.017595&spn=0.005171,0.013797&t=h&vpsrc=6&z=16

Off the top of my head I can’t think of another bus that goes from Blackheath to that particular area – although it’s obviously possible to take more than one bus (bit of a faff though!).

14. shaun says:

Good news much development in peninsula, woolwich, greenwich and nothing in Charlton.
    This should help

15. Pingback: Sainsbury’s and M&S development: What’s in a name? | The Charlton Champion

16. Can we have a Waitrose too ??

17. Steve says:

Well I only heard about this by accident whilst visiting the Greenwich store. That’s ridiculous considering we live just opposite the site.
    I love the present Sainsburys. Not too large and not too small. Just right for a shop rather than a marathon. If its anything like the Sydenham store I will be very disappointed. It always feels like there is just more of the same and I just have to walk further to find what I want. Shame I would have liked to see our area revitalised with improved waterfront-or as originally proposed tram system to North Greenwich and housing rather than car attracting mega stores.

The turn from Woolwich road into Bugsby way will need re designing, how about a roundabout at the Asda or Sainsburies entrance off Bugsby way to enable traffic to free flow with greater ease.
    Narrow Woolwich road to ensure slower traffic speeds and make it more cycle and pedestrian friendly. Consider implementing some of the dedicated bus way plans with buses diverging from the Woowich road at Gallions way, passing the new Sainsbuirs site via the strip of protected land and continuing through to the present bus way past the old Sainsburies. This would take buses away from the roundabout at the woolwich flyover a bonus for everyone.

In fact why not divert all Bugsby way buses along this link and this will free up the traffic further.