If you’re frustrated by the pandemic and want to do something in the community to help stem the virus, then Greenwich Council’s public health team is looking for help in Charlton right now. They explain why you should think about becoming a Coronavirus Neighbourhood Champion.
Charlton is one of our target areas for what we are calling “deep community engagement”. As part of this work we want to make sure we are reaching everyone we can, for example people who may be isolated or do not have access to information to support them through the coronavirus pandemic.
About this volunteering role
There are many members of our community that are vulnerable or isolated and we need to ensure that help and support is available to all residents in the borough of Greenwich.
This role centres around bringing people like you, that live in these areas, together with community networks to connect with other residents in your area.
Residents may not be getting the information they need to help them stay safe or access the support they need, for whatever reasons during the pandemic. This role can play a part in making a big difference.
What does the role involve?
Neighbourhood Champions will be part of a local team supported by a community engagement co-ordinator, linked to the public health team in Greenwich.
You will support a range of activities in your areas as part of a volunteer outreach team including:
- Having safe, socially-distanced, ‘neighbour to neighbour’ conversations on the doorstep and around your area to make sure everyone knows how to stay safe from the coronavirus and how to get support.
- Helping gather the issues, concerns, ideas and suggestions that come from the residents of your area that can help keep the community safe.
- You will also play an important part in encouraging those you meet to become involved themselves, working together as a whole community.
Training and support
Initial free two-hour online training will be provided to make sure you are well informed, well supported and safe when carrying out this Neighbourhood Champion role. Training is planned for Friday 20th November from 10.30am to 12.30am on Zoom.
- You will be kept up to date with key information and messages regarding the coronavirus pandemic.
- You will have weekly contact and support from your local co-ordinator.
- You will also have the opportunity to become part of a wider Coronavirus Community Champions programme across the borough.
Apply for this role
Thank you for reading through the information about this role. If you are interested, please email victoria.smith[at]royalgreenwich.gov.uk to register your interest, giving your full contact details, name, address, email and telephone number.
PLEASE SUPPORT THE CHARLTON CHAMPION
We tell the SE7 stories you won’t read elsewhere. We can’t do it without your help.
– Please tell us about your news and events
– Become a monthly supporter at presspatron.com/charltonchampion
– Donate to our running costs at paypal.me/charltonchampion