Charlton Lido gym opens – pool to follow ‘for Easter’

20140125-133808.jpg

The new gym building, replacing the old front entrance

Charlton lido’s gym facilities opened this week, with the pool expected to re-open “around Easter”. The gym and studio facilities are in a new building which has replaced the original entrance; new changing rooms for the pool have been built along the east side, though the outdoor cubicles and showers installed for the original reopening in 2012 are still in place. A cafe will open on the second floor above the gym, with ‘sun terraces’ to each side.

Opening times are currently 6am-10pm Monday to Thursday, 6am-8pm on Friday, and 9am-5pm on Saturday and Sunday. Check the official website for the latest opening times here.

The headline adult monthly fee seems to be around £54, although GLL have been advertising deals for existing customers of David Lloyd at Kidbrooke.

Charlton Lido, November 2010

The lido entrance as it looked in 2010

Have you joined up, or tried out the new gym? Let us know what you think of it in the comments below!

20140125-215815.jpg

The new entrance

20140125-215939.jpg

New bike racks

About Neil C

Amateur photographer; @CharltonCSE7 contributor; @RRRipchords guitarist; professional publishing something-or-other. Charlton, SE London.
This entry was posted in Charlton, Charlton Lido and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Charlton Lido gym opens – pool to follow ‘for Easter’

1. Mary says:

Wow! Looks great! Thanks for posting the pics. I’m waiting for the pool, though….

2. May says:

Despite having lived in Charlton for 8 years I have never once been to the Lido :/ so have nothing to compare my thoughts with. However, it has a significant upgrade and we’d probably look to using the pool in the warmer months :)

The machines are state of the art. What you can do on the touch screen programs is the best I have ever seen. However, my partner is into Olympic lifting and they don’t have the equipment for that or the space (at the moment). They did try to sell that you can go to Waterfront on the same membership – but the whole point of joining there is that it is local. Plus you have to pay for parking at the Waterfront.

Class studio looks amazing though.

3. Alison says:

We had a look round and it’s great, the problem is the cost of membership. It will be around £100.00 a month for two of us us car parking so we are staying at Pure Gym which is only £50.00 per month for both of us.

4. Brenda says:

As mentioned on Twitter the other day, I think this is overpriced. Does it have a steam and sauna room? There is also a brand new gym at Well Hall roundabout which is £25 per month. The previous GLL gym at CAFC was £35 per month. I know this is a state of the art gym as mentioned but I hope the price doesn’t backfire.

5. Kate says:

The full membership of £54 pm gives you access to all other gyms and facilities run by Better in Greenwich and UK apparently and includes access to the newly redone tennis courts (4 of them) in Hornfair Park, as well as obviously being the only 50m heated pool this side of Stratford. Plus a members roof café, so suppose they’re trying to take on David Lloyd. Suppose it depends on your usage – if it’s gym only, it’s not the best deal. For what it is, it’s cheaper than private gyms. I was impressed although the gym is smaller and with fewer machines than the Arches, as is the classes’ room. They’re apparently going to create a dedicated spinning area too. I liked the new “smart” cross trainers and bikes, which let you trundle through the Alps or some more interesting scenery, unless you want to look out at the pool area.

It was the staff at the Arches who told me the membership includes use of all existing other facilities and leisure centres, not just the Lido. I hope lots of people do join as I’d like the pool to stay open! I’m humming and hawing though as it is expensive. I do wish them luck. Wish they had an introductory deal but as it’s a 30 day rolling contract, that’s probably unrealistic.

• Neil Clasper says:

That’s very interesting; I’ve been trying in vain to find out where on the GLL website (if anywhere) it spells out exactly what you get for your £54.

• Brenda says:

It is not cheaper than a private gym. My husband used Bannantyne’s Grove Park, £47 per month with steam sauna and indoor swimming pool. I know of 3 people that wont be joining due to the cost. That’s a shame.

6. Kate says:

I’ve rung up head office, Woolwich and been told that full Better Health and Fitness UK is the £54 pm category one http://www.better.org.uk/membership_details

Includes all Lido facilities and classes with no top ups (eg tennis bookings, although I think that may be 1 hour p.d), as well as all facilities and classes at all leisure centres operated by Better (not just Greenwich or your “home” centre) which also includes London Fields Lido and the Aquatics Centre in Stratford when the latter opens on 1 March.
    I don’t know about the Better HF UK + spa as don’t use their spa, so didn’t ask.
    It’s not well explained on the website. I’d say check again before you sign up.
    I was talking to an older friend who said there is a membership category if you’re over 60, at £25 pm. Not sure if that’s as inclusive or is single “home” centre only as she wasn’t sure.

7. Paul Mincher says:

I have joined and its really a great facility for Charlton/Kidbrooke – cant wait for the cafe and pool to open as well

8. Kate says:

found this on their website, when I checked to see when the pool might be opening. Open weekend with free try -out swim on 8/9 March from 9am – 5pm. Hope this means that the pool will then be open, as it doesn’t say for sure, nor what the opening hours will be.

• Neil Clasper says:

Good spot! Thanks for posting it. I just spoke to them on the phone, and they’re planning on opening the pool for weekends through March – starting on the 8th – then every day from April. I forgot to ask about opening times.

9. Fiona mairs says:

I have joined only because I wanted to use the pool but it closes at 6pm weekdays which is too early for us who work up town. I have asked if this will be reviewed. The gym is small and has few machines and there are some classes. I think the membership price of £54 a month is a bit steep and may put many off. I will keep an open mind for now.

10. Kate says:

Just been swimming. The Lido is going to be open until 7.30pm from tuesday 6th May.
    Hope you don’t mind my asking on here, but my husband (a member at the Lido club) is looking for 1 to 1 improver swimming lessons for adults. He can swim, but badly, and would like to be able to enjoy swimming at the Lido. The Lido club itself doesn’t offer classes. If anyone can help, many thanks!

• Fiona Mairs says:

Great news re the later opening of the pool which means I can use it during the week.
      As for improver lessons it may be better to have these at woolwich ? It does take more stamina to swim 50m lengths in an outdoor pool I don’t know why but I prefer it.