The Victoria Way 20mph zone is Go

20140105-120322.jpgA letter to residents from the council’s Strategic Transportation department confirms that the proposals for a 20mph zone in the streets around Victoria Way will go ahead, with work starting Monday 13 January.

The letter states that 460 consultation questionnaires were returned (of 3681 sent), with 75% of respondents being in favour of the proposed changes.

The first phase of work will be the installation of signage and road markings and is expected to take two weeks, after which the installation of speed bumps and cushions will begin. There will be temporary parking restrictions around the works, plus some road closures and diversions on roads which aren’t wide enough for two-way traffic. It’s not clear from the letter how long this second phase of work is expected to take, but it says residents will be informed in advance of parking and traffic restrictions.

The 380 bus will be affected once work starts on Wellington Gardens, Priolo Road and Sundorne Road: while work takes place on Wellington Gradens, eastbound buses will divert via Charlton Road; when work moves to Sundorne and Priolo Roads, westbound services will divert via Charlton Road.

You can read the full letter here:

PS. Greenwich Council has committed to expanding 20mph zones across its borough. Fellow SE Londoners who want 20mph zones in their areas might find this petition for a 20mph zone across Lewisham borough interesting.

About Neil Clasper

Amateur guitarist and photographer. Professional publishing something-or-other. Charlton, south east London.
This entry was posted in Charlton news and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Victoria Way 20mph zone is Go

1. Damian says:

Oh that’s great. You can’t move somedays for all the road traffic victims lying about on Victoria way. This will certainly solve that problem.

Once again democracy triumphs, 75% of respondents voted yes, lets not dwell on the fact it was less than 10% of those consulted.

Damian, there was no point in filling in the questionnaire. I had already communicated with the council about their plans and it was a done deal from the word go. “It has always been council policy blah, blah….”

• Damian says:

I completely agree Chris. The ‘consultation’ is just spin. They know most people won’t respond and those most likely to will be the ones who ‘want something done’. It happened with the recent installation of a width restriction near me. It seems the council have limitless funds when it comes to obstructing traffic flow yet cry poverty to real social services which can actually make a difference to the disadvantaged. Rant over :)

3. Gary Parker says:

These comments are completely ill- informed, to institute a 20mph zone takes a lot of work and statutory consultation. The council has a statutory duty to consult and that is what it has done.If people do not respond,that is their right, but this has overwhelming support form local residents.After the consultation ended residents in Charlton Church Lane, lobbied for a 20mph speed limit in their area, with support from myself.This has now been agreed,though for legal and technical reasons it is not formally part of the 20mph zone and will not have some of the aspects of it.The money for 20mph zones comes from TFL not from the council,so to imply we are diverting money from other spending is completely wrong, you have to bid for this money and make a case for it.We have just secured 4 million pounds from TFL for road resurfacing in Greenwich and other related measures,so all of this is in fact winning additional resources for local improvements and is in fact a real success story. Councillor Gary Parker, Charlton Ward

• Damian says:

I don’t care where the money is from. I think it is a sad indictment of government (the institution not any particular party) that there is millions available for speed bumps and signage whilst the care of the elderly, disabled, mentally ill and every other vulnerable section of society is put under huge financial pressure. Shame on TFL for handing it out. Shame on any council that applies for it to solve problems that simply don’t exist then boasts about how clever it was to get it, implying that it proves they are doing a great job.

I do agree the roads need resurfacing and getting TFL to pay for it rather than spend local tax income is a benefit. I’d still rather it was spent elsewhere and suffer less smooth roads. However 20 MPH zones are a complete waste of time and money.

• Darryl says:

Damian, do you not see road safety as a priority? TfL doesn’t have a remit towards the elderly (even Freedom Passes come from the councils) apart from protecting them from getting hit by speeding cars, which a 20mph zone helps do.

And TfL cash does come out of your local tax, through the mayor’s precept.

4. Darryl says:

Hello Gary, thanks for commenting. I hope you won’t mind me picking holes in what you have to say.

If people are ill-informed, Greenwich Council has to ask itself why.

I’m in favour of 20mph zones – in fact, I don’t think the proposals go anywhere near what’s needed (which is to block through traffic to stop rat-running).

But was the consultation promoted by the council’s press office? No. Why didn’t local councillors hold any public meetings to discuss this? Why could you only respond by post? I live in the affected area and didn’t get the documents explaining the final plans – if it wasn’t for Neil, I wouldn’t have heard until the 20mph zone signs went up last week (and nobody’s got any idea when streets will be closed to facilitate the works). What is Greenwich’s communications department doing?

It’s great to see you comment here, Gary, and I hope it continues. But it’s wrong to say people are “ill-informed” when the council makes little effort to inform people in the first place.

Incidentally, every borough gets this kind of Local Implementation Plan funding from TfL – it’s not some special achievement that only Greenwich manages. This year’s allocations are here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/29199.aspx

“Ill informed” Gary? I’d prefer to use the word ‘realistic’.

Were the questionnaires sent out before or after the funding was obtained? I had an inkling that the Council were going to put speed humps on our road before there was any announcement so I sent an e-mail to the traffic department. The reply, in part, says, “The Victoria Way area, has been identified as a priority for implementation of a 20mph zone as part of this years works programme and the traffic counters you refer to are collecting data to inform the preliminary design.”

It was a done deal.

You knew that public inertia would result in a ‘for’ vote amongst those that received an option to vote. Also, how much does public opinion matter? We are but one ‘stakeholder’ as the council chooses to put it. My mate drives an NHS ambulance, is he a stakeholder? He hates speed humps, I wonder why?

I think no RTA deaths in three years in the area concerned is pretty impressive. But you want your bloody speed humps, so you’ll get them and if I drive over a speed hump at the legal speed limit my car will be destroyed PDQ.

6. Neil Clasper says:

I’m pleased they’re going ahead with the work, though I think an opportunity has been missed to make crossing Eastcombe Ave safer by the Bramshot junction. If the road here was narrowed (and perhaps a proper zebra crossing installed), it would also help slow the traffic. In the winter months, in particular, it’s a horrible place to cross by foot, as you have to step right out into the road behind the parked cars to see if there’s anything coming.

I also wonder if the whole thing will have to be revisited once Sainsbury’s moves and we get more traffic heading to Woolwich Rd through this area.

7. Gary Parker says:

Funding on this issue is obtained on a borough wide basis and there are usually more areas that want 20 mph zones than can be funded. I also strongly disagree that these ‘solve’problems that do not exist, if that was the case,why would people want these zones
    Consultation on this issue is statutory and there is a process to this, it is not a council defined process, as we don’t hold the funding, it includes all the emergency services and bus/ transport operators; if people do not want them they do not go ahead, there are many areas of the Borough who want these zones and lobby the council, if people in this area do not want it then it won’t go ahead and the money will go to areas that do want them. But the majority of people who responded to the Victoria Way consultation do and other people in other parts of the area, such as Charlton Church Lane launched a petition to have a 20 mph speed limit in their locality.
    If this is a council done deal, how do you explain this?, they were not in the original areas but still wanted speed restrictions.If we had not publicised this very well, how would they even know about it?, they were not even in the original Victoria Way consultation area and yet 120 local residents signed a petition in less than a week.

Well I aint changing your mind and you aint changing mine, especially with smoke and mirror tactics such as “But the majority of people who responded to the Victoria Way consultation do”
    Yes, you can call less than one in 10 people sent the questionnaire ‘a majority’ but it’s not exactly the world’s most ringing endorsement is it? As I say, you knew inertia would do the job for you.

I still say three serious injuries in three years (I saw one of the serious injuries happen, the car was moving at approximately 10 miles an hour) does not justify all this.

What I do agree with is for some sort of proposal to stop the rat running the residents of Eastcombe Avenue and Victoria Way (the latter already traffic-calmed!!) have to suffer from.

Thanks for bothering though. it’s appreciated.