Charlton: home of London’s fastest broadband?

20130329-104356.jpg

The Guardian this week highlighted a report on the postcode lottery of broadband speeds across London, with some suburbs having notably better service than areas in central London. The report claims that the fastest average download speeds to be found across London are actually in Charlton. Anecdotal evidence suggests, however, that there’s a wide range of speeds even within our postcode.

So what’s your experience of broadband in SE7? Good, bad or indifferent? Have you any tips for improving your broadband speed? Let us know in the comments below, and maybe we’ll get an idea of which broadband providers are serving Charlton best.

About Neil Clasper

Amateur guitarist and photographer. Professional publishing something-or-other. Charlton, south east London.
This entry was posted in Charlton and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Charlton: home of London’s fastest broadband?

1. scperi says:

When I lived in Charlton not long ago I only got 1.5mbps now I’m up the road in SE10 and I get 17mbps, both with BT. I don’t see how SE7 could get those great speeds considering how far away from the exchange it is.

• Darryl says:

I suspect SE7 has a higher-than-average take-up of Virgin cable for that very reason – most of it relies on the Greenwich BT exchange at Maze Hill (or the Kidbrooke exchange on Shooters Hill Road).

I used to struggle to get 1Mb out of a BT line (pre-Infinity) – now on about 58Mb with Virgin.

2. Alan Palmer says:

I get about 20Mbps from Virgin. I live in the shadow of the hill at The Warren so originally went with them (or rather their predecessors) for TV. 3G Phone signals are also affected badly here.

3. Neil Clasper says:

I get 37mb/second on average, through BT’s fibre optic service (whose name escapes me).

4. Here in Charlton Lane and Pound Park we are on the very edge of the exchange boundary from Greenwich and are sub 2-Mbps for regular copper broadband. However, BT have enabled all f the street cabinets in Greenwich for Superfast Broadband (Infinity sic) which means we can get mch faster speeds for a premium of Virgin proportions. I am now regularly getting 28-38-Mbps.

Live on the Charlton Slopes and am amazed that I am getting 78Mbps on average….. BT your product is amazing , if only the customer service was better….. Infinity II … this is better than some of the data centers I look after at work.

6. Southpolesurfer says:

Living in Ashburnham conservation area – we can’t get Fibre Optic yet even though apparently the exchange is enabled and BT can’t say when the cabinet for our address will be upgraded. Slow, unreliable internet driving us nuts, if we’d known beforehand we’d never have moved here. Anyone know what’s happening with it?

7. We’re towards the top of Charlton Church Lane and get 31Mbps from Virgin Media, not had internet this fast and reliable anywhere else we’ve lived in Greenwich.

8. We live just off the bottom of Prospect Vale (technically just a couple of yards outside Charlton). We get a speed of about 9mbs tops on our line. As we live on private road I think we are unlikely to get fibre, but this speed does us fine

9. Jonathan Dunne says:

Our basement flat on Floyd Road (SE7) has had BT Infinity II for a year and a bit now, and get 75Mbps consistently, with 16Mbps upload. Amazing!
    Upstairs they were told they couldn’t get Infinity, for some reason.

10. topinverine says: