Who wants to join a Charlton book group?

charlton_station_bookshelfThe book-swap scheme at Charlton station has been a roaring succcess, but if you prefer your reading to be a little more social, what are your options?

New-ish SE7 resident Gemma (well, she’s been here for a year and a half) has an idea…

“I’ve been looking recently for a book group in the area in the evenings, and have found that there are a couple run through the library but they all seem to be during the day.

“If you could let me know if I’ve missed info on the blog, or if not if you could do a shout out, I’d so so appreciate it. If there’s not an after-hours book club in existence, I’d really quite like to start one and I think the blog would be a good place to find members maybe?”

I certainly can’t think of one (and there’s a separate post to be had on how Charlton House only seems to come alive when people are at work, but’s for another day), but I reckon Gemma’s onto a winner. So who’s up for joining her? Leave a comment below…

This entry was posted in Charlton. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Who wants to join a Charlton book group?

1. Hayley says:

Hi, I’m always up for joining a book club. I’m not too sure about venues though but I’m sure there’s somewhere!

2. Gemma C-S says:

Hi Hayley, I was thinking about the Royal Oak pub where they also have the pub quiz. (though on a different night, obviously!) On a mid-week night it would work well I think.

• Darryl says:

That’s be a good location, nice and quiet – I think its new landlady would be up for that.

Cattleya on Charlton Church Lane may also work well.

• Hayley says:

Good ideas. Let me know if you set one up :-)

• Hayley says:

I’m sure there would be interest and you can promote it on FB and twitter and places like the new cottagecafe (btw it’s bloody fab and I highly recommend it).

3. Lydia says:

I’m in!

4. James says:

I’d be interested too…keep us posted..

5. redhotbelgian says:

Book club sounds great, I will arm-wrestle my wife to see who gets to attend and who gets to babysit. The Oak is also a good venue idea (full disclosure: I run, with help, the pub quiz but am just a regular there trying to breathe some more life into the place). There is actually a side room there that is hardly used but could be made a great book club space. There is a Northern Soul night there tomorrow (come on down!) if anyone wants to check the space out, am sure Landlady June would be delighted.

6. Sven Ellis says:

The Central Charlton Residents’ Association has a book club. Check out their website http://www.charltonresidents.org

7. Venetia says:

I would be interested as well, hope it takes off!

8. Jenny Willmott says:

Hi there

I’m in a book club which meets in different pubs, mainly in Greenwich (tho most the people in it live in Charlton!) We meet every 6 weeks in a different pub each tme. It’s pretty informal. If you fancy coming along let me know – open to anyone.

Jenny x

9. Charlton book club would be great! Greenwich is nice but is two bus rides from my bit of Charlton!

10. Sarah H says:

Oooh yes, a book club sounds good! Let me know if this goes ahead please!

11. Jane says:

Like the sound of that. Keep in touch.

12. Annie W says:

I’m interested as well. St Thomas church has space that could be rented for a small fee.

13. Sarah J says:

Did anything ever happen with this?