Open meeting this week to discuss Sainsbury’s and M&S plans

The consultation period for the public to put forward their views on the proposed Sainsbury’s and M&S development ends on May 29th.

You can comment yourself by following this link.

Following on from our last open meeting, the Charlton Riverside Action Group have arranged another get-together that will allow people to chat with the developer behind this project.

It’s short notice, but it will be held at the Charlton Liberal Club (non-political), 59 Charlton Church Lane, SE7 7AE on Wednesday 23rd May at 7.30pm.

We’ll have a representative from LXB who will talk in detail about the application and can answer any questions you may have. We’ll then urge everyone to send in their own feedback before the end of the month.

And just in case you didn’t know already, CRAG is a non-political group made up of concerned local residents that have come together to try to improve the local area. We’re concerned about traffic, pollution, improving public transport and cycling routes, and ensuring that one of the last underdeveloped areas of river-side in London is used for the benefit of local people.

We are all local residents and hope that we can re-establish a greater sense of community to improve our area jointly – in partnership with the council, local businesses and developers.

We’d love you to get involved too.

You can contact CRAG at charltoncrag[at]gmail.com

About Matt

SE7 resident, journalism student.
This entry was posted in Charlton, Charlton news and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Open meeting this week to discuss Sainsbury’s and M&S plans

1. Charles Osiecki says:

Hello

My concerns are as follows:

There will be increased traffic up and down Charton Church Lane. This will increase noise and pollution levels for the residents.

I would not like the 161 bus service to be diverted. It should continue on its current route.

The bus stop on the corner of Nadine street and Charlton Church Lane – is this really neccesary as there is already too much traffic blocking the road.

It would be nice to have all the road signs replaced with the new Royal Bourough of Greenwich logo for the new development – would this not improve the area.

Thanks
    Charles

2. Matt says:

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your views, you’re right about Charlton Church Lane. From what I’ve been told there was a real battle in the 1970′s to introduce those pinch points. So any redesign of that junction should certainly retain them in my opinion.

3. therealdecoy says:

Unfortunately I won’t be able to attend the meeting due to another commitment. I am hoping that the wide environmental issues around this new ‘flagship green store’ will get a good airing, and look forward to hearing the outcome.
    The old Sainsbury’s is only about 10 years old – how long does it take for the construction impact of even the ‘greenest’ of buildings to be offset by the environmental benefits provided by its use?

Ashleigh

4. Rejory says:

I also won’t be able to attend.
    I think the Church Lane point is a very important one as is the traffic/transport issue for the whole area and the Riverside project in particular.
    I notice the M&S fronts right on to Woolwich Road and wonders if anyone else would miss the greenspace/trees currently along that section?
    After seeing how the Millennium Village developers took away the strip of trees and greenery fronting the river meaning new residents face directly onto the cycle path do we want to see ‘greedy’ developing of this site? And where’s the cycle path that is so needed along Woolwich Road?

5. Gabriella Hudson says:

I think this is a done deal. M and S are looking for a new store and I can’t help think that this could be because they want to see the end of the old M and S outlet store in Woolwich. I could be wrong.

I agree that there should be lots of greenery and something should be done about the traffic but most of the site destined for both stores is now derelict and boarded up and in the current climate I would welcome a decent M and S in the borough for the north of the borough though not sure why Sainsbury’s needs to be the largest in Britain. Perhaps they want to compete with Tesco who are opening Europe and Britain’s largest Tesco store in Woolwich town centre.

I think the proposals will be approved regardless of what the community wants. The community can only ask for the proposals to be amended so the impact of traffic and the environment is less.

Good luck anyway.

6. Charles Osiecki says:

Matt

Thanks for your response

I guess my real concern is the increase in traffic on Charlton Church Lane.
    Delivery vehicles, mini cabs and increased use due to the main shopping centre development.

I actually am in favour of the development and think it is good for the area.

The factory fire this morning is a point to bear in mind.

Would we want homes built or Charlton to remain industrialised?

I would prefer the clean air option, so I think the riverside should be allowed to be developed for residential expansion. I think that would be modernisation in Charlton.

There are more and more joggers and keep fit fanatics living in the area and more cyclists.

I have run over 100 marathons and I know that my health comes first.
    I do want the best outcome for Charlton – a better qualkity of life.

I am just expressing my personal opinion

Regards
    Charles

7. therealdecoy says:

I can’t agree that a huge Sainsbury’s and thousands of commuters will have a net effect of cleaner air quality! As for quality of life, living near where you work is beyond price. Making and distributing really useful things beats servicing the expansion of the supermarket consumer economy any day. Many working small businesses would be destroyed by these developments. We can have homes as well as industry – genuinely affordable, dare I say COUNCIL homes, could be built on the vacant sites not the working ones, couldn’t they?
    Ashleigh

8. Andrei says:

I think this may be good news for the area, so long as traffic management matters are addressed carefully, especially at Charlton Church Lane. Existing buildings along that part of Woolwich Road are derelict, or run-down and are a real eyesore. Investment like this, and the jobs it will bring must be good for the area.
    I also feel it will be a welcome counter-balance to Tesco’s development at Woolwich; I just hope the council isn’t so deep in Tesco’s pocket that they refuse permission for something that looks like it could be a welcome improvement in the choice of shops. I’m particularly pleased about M&S; the Woolwich Outlet store is really dire, and the ‘Simply Food’ at Blackheath Royal Standard is way too small and has lousy parking.
    Overall, a thumbs up – if they sort the traffic issues out.

9. Charles says:

therealdecoy

Yes you have some good points

I dont know much about the area. Just want to try and help.

Regards
    Charles

10. Pingback: Sainsbury’s and M&S site: Should Woolwich Road be downgraded? | The Charlton Champion

11. Pingback: Sainsbury’s store stalled by Greenwich Council as Tesco opens « 853