Councillors set to decide on controversial cafe scheme

A plan to convert an estate agency in Charlton Church Lane into a cafe goes before Greenwich councillors on Wednesday night.

Rashpal Dhesi is applying for “change of use” permission to open a “sandwich bar/coffee shop” on the premises, which were previously a minicab office, and before that part of the old main post office.

The council has received three letters and a 29-signature petition opposing the plan, with residents saying the area is already well-served with similar outlets, such as the long-established Valley Cafe.

Council officers have recommended the scheme be approved, on condition that sound insulation is installed and opening hours are restricted to 7am-5pm on weekdays and Saturdays, and 9am-4pm on Sundays.

The building, constructed as a post office in the 1960s, has recently had flats built on top of it. Greenwich Council’s Woolwich and Thamesmead Planning Committee is due to decide on Mr Dhesi’s application on Wednesday.

11 Responses to Councillors set to decide on controversial cafe scheme

1. I wouldn’t have thought that a cafe was likely to be that nosey – it’s not a nightclub.

2. Brenda says:

But why did they not give a full cafe licence to the Baguette at the top?

Anyway perhaps Mr Dhesi can see the team is on the way back hence bigger crowds on match day! Id rather it be a cafe than another bookies but not sure it is what is needed.

It’s so tiny I can’t see it making a huge difference to the Valley Cafe, which is sadly feeling the effects of the current dross state of the economy anyway.

We need a place that does ‘non-instant’ coffee.

And speaking of competition, bear in mind there are four shops selling bread/milk etc by the station. They’ve each got their own little niches and — remarkably enough — seem to be doing okay.

Er, make that five places! Of course the Post Office now has a shop in it.

5. Bricky says:

Definitely we need somewhere that does proper coffee. I love a slap up brekkie in Valley cafe, and I’d love some steaming strong caffeine too. I reckon Charltons got a big enough appetite for both (sorry, couldn’t resist!).

6. David Thompson says:

A place for proper coffee is welcome near the station. Do 29 people not know the difference between a coffee shop and a cafe? I like my fry up at the Vally cafe but not with earl grey!

7. Darryl says:

It was approved, by the way:

Granted planning permission for a change of use from estate agent (Use Class A2) to a sandwich bar/coffee shop (Use Class A3), subject to the Conditions and Informatives set out in paragraph 5 of the report, with an amendment to Condition 1 as follows:
    The use hereby permitted shall only be in use between the hours of 7am to 5pm Monday to
    Saturday and 9am to 4pm on Sunday.

8. nick oberteins says:

I just hope it is going to be something fashionable, with good coffee and cakes and just a fast food place.

9. Mick says:

I laughed when I saw how they make coffee at the Valley Cafe… that place should be closed down for serving such crap

10. therealdecoy says:

3 things make a good caff – fat chips, real coffee and chairs that you can move. I’ll carry on going to Gambardellos.

11. Rejory says:

Brenda, as I understand it the Baguette couldn’t have a full licence because it’s below a residential block. So no cooking smells etc for the neighbours…
    I do a free that Charlton needs a decent cafe but stop knocking the Valley… It’s traditional tea in there and none of this new fangled starbucks rubbish!