Help shape the future of your local community‏

It’s short notice due to the approaching deadline of the consultation period, but the Charlton Riverside Action Group are meeting to discuss the newly produced master-plan for the area.

Antony Rifkin, Director of Allies and Morrison Urban Practitioners, who produced this document has kindly said he will come along.

Once again we hope our local councillors and our MP will be in attendance. As well as local stakeholders and members of neighbouring resident’s groups.

However, most importantly we need you and your views.

Hope you can make it.

About Matt

SE7 resident, journalism student.

14 Responses to Help shape the future of your local community‏

1. Ashleigh says:

How can an action group develop a formal response with Councillors and developers’ representatives present? Even if they leave the room later it doesn’t make sense to let them start off the discussions.

2. Matt says:

I wouldn’t think of it like that Ashleigh. I see it as a chance for residents to put their views to developers and instantaneously get feedback on what’s workable or not. Therefore producing a more concrete response that’s going to make more sense and be more useful once submitted. If elected representatives leave with a better idea of what residents do and don’t want, then that can only be a good thing too.

3. Brenda says:

Matt, the Club issued a statement with regard to the plans last week and it may be worth asking Stephen Kavanagh if he were interested in attending?

4. Brenda says:

Cut and paste the whole link, it should work then.

5. Ashleigh says:

I’m sorry Matt? You want these numpties to tell you what’s workable? They are working to kick out the poor. Think that’s about it. Which side are you on?

• Matt says:

I can reveal to you that members of CRAG and the Charlton Society are pushing for mixed-use, mixed tenure and low density housing. Would love to have you along to add weight to that argument and see what the developers have to say. Emails and blog comments are great but there’s nothing quite like talking face-to-face in an open forum.

6. Ashleigh says:

Think I’d rather learn a trade, but I’ll try to steel myself to come along.

7. Matt – How does the PLA stuff sit with all this?

The posts from Roy T rather made it sound like the Riverside Masterplan had been released early and was already being discounted by the higher authority of the PLA.

I’m not suggesting the meeting won’t be very useful and a good chance to put views (and correct names of churches) to the consultant guys, but has there been any clarity given to the PLA comments?

8. Matt says:

Yes, it does seem that the PLA haven’t been consulted on this. I’ve also been told this is just a ‘spatial strategy’ and not a development proposal – I’m not sure of the difference to be honest.

The leader of the council mentioned at a meeting that more documents are due with more consultations and plans for this area will slowly narrow after each stage – meaning it probably will end up being consultation overload.

I hope to ask the developers tomorrow about the PLA’s concerns – will let you know how it goes.

I was going to come to this, but sadly my wife and daughter are Tom and Dick so that’s that.

Anyway, as you will have seen from previous posts elsewhere I’m interested in the fate of the Murphy’s plant. I’m also worried that the Churchill industrial estate will be demolished because it has the word industrial rather than ‘eco’ in it. It is home to some great local businesses.

Yee Gods! Have made a mistake of Churchillian proportions.

Make that Westminster estate!

Aging is a terrible thing…..

• Matt says:

No worries Chris, will try and let you know any outcomes. I’m quite a fan of Murphy’s myself, although I’m told the recent removal of a dust-wall has meant passing cyclists have been getting a bit of a mouthful.
      It has a ten year lease anyway according to our local MP.