Charlton drivers could need Olympics parking permits

Remember these? In 1999, a controlled parking zone was introduced across parts of Charlton, Blackheath and Greenwich because of fears the area would be overrun by Millennium Dome visitors sneakily avoiding the “no-car zone” around the peninsula.

As everyone knows, visitor numbers for the Dome were wildly overestimated, and if I remember correctly, the restrictions were lifted with a month or two to go. The parking bays stayed, though, and some controlled parking zones were created – in Charlton, one was created around the station. In other areas, parking remained – and remains – free in the spaces.

But the permits could return for the Olympics. It’s already been confirmed that the Charlton controlled parking zone will run from 0830-2100 seven days a week between 28 July and 6 August, and 30 August and 6 September 2012 to stop people parking up to visit the North Greenwich Arena (Dome/ O2).

But residents and visitors outside the zone could have to use Olympic permits under plans to ensure that visitors to the Dome, Greenwich Park and the Royal Artillery Barracks don’t park in back streets and take the train instead, according to plans revealed by LOCOG today.

(Longer term, it’s likely those streets could become part of parking zones as part of Greenwich Council spending cuts. But that’s another story.)

I’ve written more about the plans on 853, but you can find out more on Friday between 9am-6pm, and Saturday between 9am-5pm, at an exhibition at Devonport House, King William Walk, Greenwich. It’s worth a look – even if you don’t drive or have a car – because life around here is going to be very different for a few weeks next summer, and forewarned is forearmed…

About Darryl Chamberlain

8 Responses to Charlton drivers could need Olympics parking permits

1. Pingback: Greenwich’s one-way system grows for Olympic Games « 853

2. Paul says:

It would be no bad thing if it were free, as it certainly lessened the burden of the football parking for local residents.

3. Boneyboy says:

I went to the exhibition on Friday and talked to ODA staff about this. They said that their aim is to protect parking for residents for the duration of the games and they want to do this free of charge to residents. The Council , not the ODA have the lagal powers to impose and enforece restrictions , so the final scheme will be funded by ODA but implemented by the council. Any plans to continue restrictions after the games are outside of their remit and would be entirely a decision of the Council, though I think its very unlikely that new permanent schemes would be free for residents.

I was also told that there are no plans to restrict trains stopping at WWestcombe Park.

4. j knevett says:

when the dome came residences nts in mascalls rd se7 got a partition up to stop parking bays put in street over 50% said no so thay didnt put lines or bays the only street that didnt from charlton rd to greenwich someone new the rules can it be done today

• therealdecoy says:

We don’t have parking restrictions here either in The Heights SE7, but the map we’ve just got says we’ll need permits because we’re in a controlled parking zone. I’ve emailed the roads department, ‘cos I’d like Greenwich to get their facts right. If I’m going to need a permit at all it has to be temporary doesn’t it?

5. appalled says:

I have to take my grandson to Plumcroft School every morning. I have to leave Inigo Jones Rd and normally take the journey up ha ha road. I have beeen told the road will be closed after the traffic lights at Depository road, That mean I will have to make my journey up shotershill rd when it will be horrific traffic, and I will have to get my gransondon up exrta early to get him to school.

Surely the school will be shut for most of Ha Hah Road’s closure??

7. J.Bright says:

Monday 11 June the day you are told to apply for permits. Click on to 2012gamesparking etc. Nothing. Nothing on Greenwich site either. Is this how the Olynpics is going to be run.