Poundland arrives: Is Greenwich Shopping Park in decline?

Poundland Charlton

You may or may not be aware that the HMV in the Greenwich Shopping Park has been transformed into a Poundland. Now, HMV’s woes are well known and it was only a matter of time before it closed, but would anybody have guessed a Poundland would be its replacement? Don’t get me wrong, I do love a pound shop, but are they not reserved for crumbling high streets such as Eltham, Woolwich and Sidcup? Would an out-of-town retail park, that was only completed in August 2003, be looking for something more? A Marks & Spencer, a Game, a Vision Express or a Desire by Debenhams perhaps?

Is this just a sign of the times or a sinister slide in fortunes?

Incidentally, it opens this Thursday and there’s a family fun day on Saturday as David Platt (the Coronation Street character not the footballer) will be at the store from 10am until 1pm to sign autographs and give away vouchers.

About Matt

SE7 resident, journalism student.

14 Responses to Poundland arrives: Is Greenwich Shopping Park in decline?

1. Hayley says:

I hope it’s not the beginning of the end. I was hoping for another clothes shop or household shop or something. Poundshop’s are popular but I was hoping for a bit more, particularly given how much footfall there is.

2. Darryl says:

I sort-of know the chap who managed that HMV when it first opened – he moved to their HQ, but lost his job last year when the arse started to fall out of the company. Can’t be long left for HMV, especially as they’ve sold the decent bit of their business in Waterstones…

As for the shopping park – has it really been there for eight years now? The trouble isn’t crappy old Poundland but the retail park itself – killing off traditional high streets like Woolwich and Eltham and lumbering us with traffic jams. I can walk there in five minutes but avoid it, and the bloke selling dodgy DVDs that its security guards tolerate hanging around the muck-strewn pathway through it.

3. Brenda says:

I popped down there for the first time in ages on Saturday and didn’t even notice this! The one thing I did notice that although there were still traffic jams getting in to the place the shops were pretty empty.

David Platt ? Dear me!

I try and avoid the main entrance when I nip (driving) into Asda for something. I go in via the other entrance by Maccie Ds. Much easier.

I was there yesterday and also didn’t notice Poundland, but do I detect a hint of snobbery here? I’ve picked up some good bargains in Poundland before now, it’s always worth a browse.

You could always balance out the fact that Poundland has opened by saying that Lidl has closed!

5. Matt says:

Maybe I am being a little snobby and maybe slightly crazy too, but it just seems a little odd. Remember Greenwich Shopping Park is only technically that row of eleven shiny new buildings that have only been there 8 years. Matalan and Lidl (which I both use/used regularly) are set back and housed in rather older barns. Just odd to see something so new being turned into a Poundland, but this could be testament to the success of the Poundland chain and its ability to afford bigger and better premises. Remember Makro has been near there since time began, so I’m not saying that the whole area is going to the dogs.

6. Darryl says:

Makro isn’t really comparable – it’s members-only (I think you have to have a VAT registration to join, although once you’re in, you’re pretty much in for life), isn’t part of a big chain, and has been there for far longer than any of the other retail outlets there – indeed, it was there before Bugsbys Way was extended towards Greenwich. It wasn’t quite all fields then, but there were plenty of factories there then.

I don’t know if this is still the case now, but the early retail parks weren’t built to last either – GSP sits on the site of the early-80s Greenwich Industrial Estate (Queensway and Harris Carpets), next door is the old MFI which opened at the same time. Lidl came a few years after (it was originally Comet), and has come to the end of its days. Which makes me wonder what’ll come of Matalan (once Texas Homecare).

Blimey Darryl, showing your age a bit in this thread!

8. Pingback: BBC News – The incredible shrinking shopping baskets « Mind Your Language

9. Simon says:

Sadly I remember the Harris Carpets – also had a Halfords on the site. I also remember when Lidl was Comet. Anyone know what is happening with the current WIcks, which I read somewhere was moving to where Lidl has just closed from …
    I am agnostic on Poundland, just glad there is no empty space. I tried several times to buy things in the HMV and they never had what I wanted … so not surprised it’s gone. Shame though. I do try and always shop locally too if I can … I really like the Clarks and Next. I wish ASDA would tidy it’s act up.

10. Plummy Mummy says:

I’m surprised that Wilkinson didn’t move to the HMV site rather than choose to move to Woolwich town centre (which seems nuts in light of Tesco opening a mega store there soon).
    Sorry to see Lidl close as strangely, if you went e.g. on a Tue morning, the staff were friendly and relaxed.
    As for WH Smiths, Asda and Argos in Charlton, I’d be quite happy if those closed as they are simply the most awful branches of each retailer I’ve ever been in.
    And have you ever noticed the clothes outlet shop always smells of poop – was that an old barn too?

11. Simon says:

Plummy Mummy – quite agree with your comments about Smiths and Asda … they ARE the worst branches of each retailer I’ve ever been in . Sadly I have been into a worse Argos, not that that means the one on the retail park is a good experience. The last time I complained to the manager at Asda (admittedly probably 2 years ago as the experience was so bad) he was rude to me rather than handle the complaint!!!

12. Carla says:

I like a good old rummage in Poundland but am sooo disappointed that it wasn’t an M&S that opened…..

• Simon says:

Now that would have been good. I miss the food M&S they had at the BP garage on Woolwich Road (SE7) – though it has been better for my wallet now it has gone!