Southeastern U-turn on Charlton station Olympic cuts

A full service will run at Charlton for the Olympics

Proposed service cuts at Charlton station during next summer’s Olympics have been scrapped, it has emerged.

The rail company planned to axe two out of the eight trains which serve the station each hour as part of a package of cuts at local stops designed to accommodate extra numbers attending events in Greenwich Park and Woolwich Barracks.

But after a meeting on Tuesday between Southeastern MD Charles Horton, Greenwich & Woolwich MP Nick Raynsford, and David Gardner of the Charlton Rail Users Group, it was confirmed that services between Woolwich Arsenal, Lewisham and Charing Cross would continue to stop at Charlton during the Olympics.

Furthermore, a dedicated bus service to the North Greenwich (O2) Arena will convey Olympics visitors from Charlton station.

Southeastern had originally claimed facilities did not exist at Charlton – which had a bus terminal put in as part of the Millennium Dome project – to run such a service.

The move at Charlton follows pressure from the rail users’ group, Nick Raynsford and Greenwich Council.

It is not yet known what is happening with other stations on the network that were due to face cuts, such as Woolwich Dockyard, scheduled to close altogether; and Deptford and Westcombe Park, due see services cut to two per hour.

Southeastern came under ferocious criticism from rail users and local politicians for their plans to cut services.

The company said the cancellations were needed to allow trains to spend longer picking up and dropping off passengers at Greenwich and Woolwich Dockyard stations.

Full details of the new timetables are expected to be confirmed by July.

About Darryl Chamberlain

Journalist, SE Londoner.
This entry was posted in Charlton, Charlton news. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Southeastern U-turn on Charlton station Olympic cuts

  1. Well that’s all kinds of awesome. It would be nice to see the Westcombe Park, Maze Hill and Deptford services kept intact, but having Charlton available is a good start. What’s the source, if I might ask?

  2. Brenda says:

    Well done Darryl and to all the Charlton Rail Users’ Group. More power to you guys!

  3. It’s not just them who got their hands dirty on this one, but certainly they get kudos for breaking the story and helping inform the rest of us on how to get involved.

  4. Chris says:

    Yeah,

    Thanks Darryl and to all those who were involved in the lobbying.

    Eben though I never had the courtesy of a reply to my e-mails to council/councillors I feel that my little contributions were one of the straws that broke the camel’s back.

    Well done to all.

  5. Blimey, well done.
    It seems that some consultations are genuine consultations, open to well-targeted pressure.

  6. Darryl says:

    Thanks, all. I’m a little dubious about this being a genuine consultation – I do wonder what would have happened if this had been left to user groups and councils. But at least there’s been some movement, and it’s nice to see a sensible plan for Charlton station.

  7. Pingback: Olympic rail cuts: Southeastern starts to own up « 853

  8. Pingback: Heard of the Charlton Society? Find out more on Saturday… | The Charlton Champion

  9. Pingback: Charlton Rail Users Group – have your say on Southeastern | The Charlton Champion

  10. Ashleigh marsh says:

    But what about Woolwich Dockyard?

  11. Pingback: Olympic timetable: No Southeastern refund for reduced services « 853

Hello! Please share your thoughts...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s