Horse and Groom church decision deferred

Horse and Groom, Charlton, SE7

A Greenwich Council planning committee has opted to defer a decision on whether or not the old Horse and Groom pub on Woolwich Road should be turned into a church. Our man at last night’s meeting takes up the story…

The pub has been sold to a church which started holding services there without planning permission. Greenwich Council stopped this and the church put in a planning application for change of use.

This was rather mysteriously placed before Wednesday’s Woolwich Planning Committee as an urgent item, with officers recommending approval. There were objections on noise and parking grounds from a couple of neighbours and also from CAMRA.

Following an impassioned plea from Woolwich Riverside ward concillor John Fahy, the mattter was adjourned for further discussions and will probably come back before the Commitee on March 16th.

The pub wasn’t much of a loss when it closed about three years ago, frankly – its only real trade came from Charlton home games and the odd strip show. But surely this site would be better used as housing? I’d be interested in your thoughts.

(Flickr photo via Euan-M.)

7 Responses to Horse and Groom church decision deferred

1. Mary says:

Didn’t they claim to serve the ‘best fish and chips in the world’.

2. Paul Chapman says:

As someone who lives about 50 meters from the (ex) pub I have mixed views about this. Certainly I would prefer the building to be used for housing, and if not housing then some sort of community-based centre would be good. However, Charlton House is just up the lane so doubt there is much call for the extra space in that sense.

I say ‘mixed views’ as I don’t want to say ‘no’ to a Church at any cost, it certainly bought some interesting outfits to the Lane when it opened briefly (the two guys welcoming people in appeared to be dressed as Jedi knights). But it does seem that Churches, mostly evangelical, are springing up almost as fast as pubs are closing down and as a pub-goer and not a church-goer that saddens me. What Charlton is really crying out for (in my opinion) is a decent pub/restaurant. Although SE7 boasts possibly the finest Thai-Tapas Fusion restaurant in South London, we badly need somewhere else to go to eat and the Horse and Groom was big enough to easily become a family-friendly pub that served food. Perhaps no-0ne likes drinking/eating next to the Woolwich Road.

3. Sarah says:

I agree with Paul about needing a decent pub in Charlton; it was a shame about what happened with the White Swan last year because that was promising. I never went in the Horse & Groom but always enjoyed the great atmosphere outside when Elvis performed on Marathon day.

4. Nat@London says:

Much better as housing. There are already more than plenty of places to worship round here and a housing shortage. I reckon you could get a good half dozen flats on that site.

• Gill says:

I agree with Paul and Sarah and would rather it be used for housing/community club for youngsters or for a pub restaurant from a good pub is sadly lacking our nearest local is the Anchor and Hope which has a great atmosphere but is a bit of a trek on cold nights.

5. Paul Dixon says:

Ironic really that there was a perfectly good church on the opposite corner of the Lane which was demolished to make way for a block of flats.

6. Alvar says:

What was the name of that church Paul? I have been trying to get some pictures of it for ages. What ever happened to the Woodlands local history center? When I left for Australia in 91 it was going strong, but on trying to visit it in 2010, it had gone/moved.